Situated in the eastern part of India, Kolkata is not only the city of joy, but it is the city of the free soul. It’s unique heritage and rich culture of all flavours makes it a convergence of lucid grandeur.
To name a few of the reasons of pride of it’sinheritors :
- ALIPORE ZOOLOGICAL GARDEN- This is the oldest zoo in this entire country giving shelter to a large number of animal species.
- THE BOTANICAL GARDEN-The botanical garden of Kolkata is situated atShibpur in the Howrah district. This place is home to the enormous banyan tree which spreads over a large area.
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF INDIA- Located in Alipore, this is the largest library in our country on account of it’s rich collections of books.
- ROYAL GOLF CLUB OF INDIA- The Royal Golf Club of India, located in Kolkata, West Bengal is the first ever Golf club outside Great Britain.
The tourist attractions are divine in this place. The historical monuments like :
- The Victoria Memorial :This beauty in white amidst the beautiful nature is worth a watch. The museum located inside the memorial has preservations of rich heritage. The place is picturesque in all senses.
- The Fort William :This is a fort built on the Eastern banks of the major distributary of the river Ganges, during the early years of British India. The fort has the shape of the star fort designed to defence against cannons , prior to the advent of the explosive shells. There are six gates to this fort namely :Chowringee, Plassey, Calcutta, Water gate, St. Georges Gate and the treasury gate.
- The Maidan :The Maidan, is located in front of Fort William. This used to be a part of the fort earlier and is currently the largest urban park in Kolkata. With the stallions on toe to humans in sports practice, this place covers another green part of this soulful city.
- The Howrah Bridge :This is currently the sixth longest propped cantilever bridge with a suspended span in the entire world. This is located over the Hoogly River in West Bengal. The lightings add to this glory after sunset.The Howrah Bridge was named as the RabindraSetu on 14Th June 1965, after the great Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore.
A few other tourist spots in Kolkata include the Indian Museum, Eden Gardens, Science City, Nicco Park, Shaheed Minar, Ecopark, RabindraSarobar, Aquatica,Nandan, RabindraSadan, Academy of Fine Arts, Milennium Park, PrincepGhat, Mother’s Wax museum, Jorasako Thakur Bari, Elliot park, Salt lake central park, ShobhabajarRajbari, Nature Park and still a few more to go.
Places of worship in Kolkata includes temples, mosques, churches, gurudwaras and still I can miss out more.
Describing this city and its pride can go endless.
The Bengali desserts are an added cuisine here. The festivals are the life of this place.
This city is a place of sharing ecstacy.